qiuck linksQuick Links

General FAQ's

  • I have a "Howell" mailing address, does this mean I live in the City of Howell?

    The City of Howell is roughly four square miles. The City extends north to south from Highland Rd. (M-59) to just north of off ramp from I-96 (exit 137) and extend west to east from McDonald’s restaurant on W. Grand River Ave. to Catrell, which is east of the downtown area. If you have a "Howell" mailing address and you do not live within the "City of Howell" city limits, this would just indicate that the Howell Post office delivers your mail.

  • What is the popluation of the City of Howell?

    According to SEMCOG, June 2007, the City of Howell has a population of 10,202.

  • What are the City Hall business hours?

    City Hall is open daily Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.           

    City Hall will be closed on the following holidays.

    • New Year’s Day observed
    • Martin Luther King, Jr.’s  B-day   
    • Presidents’ Day
    • Good Friday
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Thanksgiving
    • Christmas
    • New Year’s Eve

    For your convenience, a 24-hour drop box is available in the City Hall lobby.

  • How do I get to City Hall and the Police Department?

    Howell City Hall/Police Dept. is located at 611 E. Grand River, four blocks east of Michigan Ave. on the south side of the street. Google Map of Howell 

    From I-96: Exit 137, north on Michigan Ave. east on Grand River Ave, on the south side of Grand River Ave.

    From M-59 (Highland Road): South on Michigan Ave., east on Grand River Ave, on the south side of Grand River Ave.

  • How do I get a license for my dog?

    Dog licenses are available at the Finance Office beginning in December. To obtain a license, you must provide proof of current rabies vaccination and proof of spayed or neutered. The license fees are as follows:

                            $ 7.00 if dog is spayed or neutered

                            $ 25.00 if dog is not spayed or neutered

    The delinquent license fee will be $30.00.  New residents please call City Hall at (517) 546-3500 for information.

  • Do I need to get a license for my cat?

    No, the City does not require that cats be licensed.

  • Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

    No, but the City does have some restrictions on garage sale signs. Garage sale signs are permitted on personal property only. They are not allowed on utility poles, traffic signal poles, city property or any public right-of-way.