qiuck linksQuick Links

Finance FAQ's

  • What is the total Millage rate for the City of Howell taxpayers?

    The most current Millage rate information is as follows:

                PRE (Principal Resident Exemption):  39.0304

                NON-PRE (Principal Resident Exemption):  57.0304

                To view the breakdown, click here.

    Your taxable value x the Millage rate = annual property taxes.

  • Can you explain my property assesment notice?

    For Assessing information and Assessing FAQ's, please click HERE to be redirected to the Assessing Department's web page.

  • Do I have to pay my taxes in person?

    No, you can pay by mail, on line (with a convenience fee) or you can utilize the drop box in the City Hall lobby.

  • I did not receive my tax bill.  What should I do?

    Please call our Treasurer at (517) 546-3500 to request a bill.  Remember, failure to receive a tax bill does not waive interest and/or penalties.

  • Where do I pay my delinquent taxes?

    Delinquent real estate taxes are to be paid at the Livingston Country Treasures office, 200 E. Grand River, Howell, MI 48843, (517) 546-7010.

    Delinquent personal property taxes are to be paid at Howell City Hall-Finance Dept.

  • How often do I get a water bill?

    Residents receive a water bill every other month.

  • Where can I pay my water bill?

    You can pay in person at City Hall, by mail, on line (with a convenience fee) or you can utilize the drop box in the City Hall lobby.

  • How do I schedule a final water meter reading?

    When moving from a house, apartment or business, water customers are asked to contact the Water Department by calling (517) 546-3500 to schedule a final water meter reading.

  • How do I pay parking and traffic tickets?

    Parking tickets need to be paid at the Police Department, located on the 1st floor of City Hall at 611 E. Grand River Ave. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A drop box is located in the lobby across from the ATM machine. It is emptied daily. Please note that parking tickets NOT paid will be sent to court. 

    All other traffice violations and appearance tickets are paid at the 53rd Distict Court, 204 S. Highlander Way, Howell, MI 48843.