qiuck linksQuick Links

City Clerk FAQ's

  • How do I register to vote?

    City of Howell residents may register to vote at the City Clerk’s office (3rd floor, City Hall), County Clerk’s office (Courthouse), any Secretary of State Branch Office, or access the mail-in form found on line at http://michigan.gov/vote.  Please note if you register to vote by mail, you may have to vote in person the first time. Contact the City Clerk’s office at (517) 546-3502 for restrictions. In order to vote, you must be registered  30 days prior to Election Day.

    Your voter registration and driver’s license address must be the same. New residents can change their address by registering to vote at the City Clerk’s office. The address update will automatically transfer to the Driver’s License File and an address change sticker for   your driver’s license will arrive in the mail.

    All elections are held on three regular election dates each year; May, August and November.  If there is an issue to be voted on, an election is held on one of the three scheduled dates. The Mayor, City Council and Board of Review are elected at the odd year November election.  Nominating petitions are due in the month of April of the same year.  If nominating petitions are filed for more than twice the number of candidates, a Primary Election is held in August.     

    The City of Howell has a permanent absentee voter list. Upon completion of a simple application form, you are placed on a list to automatically receive an application for a ballot prior to each election.  The permanent absentee voter application form is available from the Clerk’s office or can be accessed on line by clicking HERE. Absentee ballots are always available approximately 30 days prior to each election at the City Clerk’s office. The Clerk’s office has extended hours the Saturday prior to each election from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.

  • Where do I get vital record information?  (birth, death, & marriage certificates)

    Vital records can be obtained at the Livingston County Clerks office, 200 E. Grand River, Howell, MI  48843, (517) 546-0500.

  • Where do I get a marriage license?

    You can apply at the Livingston County Clerk’s office, 200 E. Grand River, Howell, MI  48843, (517) 546-0500.


  • How do I get a “Doing Business As” (DBA)?

    DBA’s (assumed names) for Livingston County businesses are obtained at the Livingston County Clerk’s office, 200 E. Grand River, Howell, MI  48843, (517) 546-0500.